Why Broken Bow?

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Since this post stresses that anonymous writings have less credence than something that's signed, I shall begin to tell more about myself.

Myself huh?

As Greg Mankiw said, I might become vain in the process but why should anyone, except for some people, care about idiosyncracies?

I shall then start with my blog itself. Later on, my profile.

So why broken bow?

One might gather of it as a spoof of the song Broken Vow. Or even make the assumption that somehow it is connected with the broken Da Mul bow of Jumong.

But here's the story.

I took cello lessons before at St. Scholastica School of Music under Sir Olan Guerrero. I had the goal of learning a favorite, J.S. Bach's Cello Suite No.1, Prelude. The piece is one of the soundtrack of the motion picture Master and Commander. Other films where it is played (although not included in their soundtrack) are Music of the Heart and The Pianist.

Now to proceed, for a feckless dumbbell such as myself unfortunately, I was only able to learn (aside from the progressive variations of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and some other more), J.S. Bach's Minuet in G Major, which is one of the 18 Pieces from "Klavier-Buchlein fur Anna Magdalena Bach".

Anyway, I may already have forgotten the music lessons, but I guess I'll never forget when I broke the cello bow.

I placed it one time on a sofa after practicing. I completely forgot about it until the unimaginable happened. I accidentally sat on it. Afterwhich, it was really dreadful to see a piece of scotch tape on such an expensive exquisite item.

My teacher saw a valuable lesson here. "Never put your bow on a chair, more so a sofa," he said.

And he's right! Because you may sit on it, as I did.


P.S. Elaboration of this to follow.

1 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

now i get it :)