City of Literature: Edinburgh

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The motto of Edinburgh, as you might still see it,
I think, carved over the old castle gate,
is "Sic Itur ad Astra" - "This way to the stars."
- GK Chesterton

Anything that bears the word "literary" often almost fascinates me. The word is considered to be high level that it is usually attributed to things like the arts, scholars in the medieval ages, or to any writings valued for the quality of their forms. To be associated with it is quite overwhelming and unbelievable.

Would you believe for instance that there is already a City of Literature? And it is UNESCO who declares the place to be as such?

Edinburgh is the first City of Literature in 2004. And perhaps it is rightly to be so because it has more booksellers per capita than any other city in Britain. It is home as well to the first billion-dollar author JK Rowling and to an equally great writer Alexander McCall Smith.

I guess it must be time for me to check the classified ads and consider Edinburgh jobs.

2 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Wow! I didn't know that Edinburgh is the first City of Literature! Well, I actually didn't know there are Cities of Literature! Thanks for the info, bro!

And when you do check out the ads, please, include me in your search, my friend! Sama ako! And i kid you not!

Novice Blogger said...

Sure bro! I just hope they offer blogging jobs. Hehe.

I think there is only one city of literature though at the moment. UNESCO seems to have not decided on the next one yet.