Top Ten People with the Coolest Jobs

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My siblings and I were watching Travel and Living when one of us remarked that Tony Bourdain probably has one of the coolest jobs on earth, which is, traveling around the world while searching for the rare and sometimes dangerous foods.


Later, we came up with a list of people who have the coolest jobs. By cool, we mean the one-of-a-kind jobs that only a handful of people are associated to. Since one person is already mentioned, I am proceeding, without any particular order, to the next ones.

2. Andrea Mosconi - He is Cremona's official musical conservationist who basically maintains and preserves string instruments. His work involves the playing of 300-year-old violins made by the Amatis, Guarneris, and Stradivari to keep the instruments fit and sounding their best.


3. Mythbusters - Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman use their skills and expertise to test the validity of various rumors and urban legends in popular culture. Their experiments range from disproving the notion that a duck's quack echos to proving that a wine glass shatters if a person sings at the right tone.


4. Heinz Ketchup Taste Testers - According to the Discovery, there are only eight people who know the secret ingredient of the Heinz Ketchup. About four or five of them taste-test, which means that for a whole day, they take a lick of a sample of each packed ketchup to ascertain that the products meet the standards. And they have done just that for several years already.

5. Top Gear hosts - Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May must be thrilled by the constant need in them for speed. The privilege of being able to drive the crème de la crème cars of the century is sheerly priceless. The Top Gear though has constantly faced criticisms for its preference of performance over fuel efficiency and conservation. But that would be another story.


6. Just for Laughs/Gags Cast - Fooling around with people especially when they are strangers must be in some way pretty gratifying. It is all about the response of those we pull our pranks on that matters. I remember the reaction of a high school classmate when I took him by surprise in a dark hallway. To this day, the memory still makes me laugh. He bravely took the stance of some karate master and shouted in a trembling voice, "Hiya!"

7. US CEOs - Back in 1979, they were paid 55 times more than the average worker. In 2005, they were paid 465 times more.


8. Photographers - As to why, I point you to Gaya's Photography and Photographers.


9. Gondolier - There is a competitive exam that a potential gondolier has to pass before becoming one. And for the first time in the history, Venice seems to be finally considering a female gondolier to ply its famous canals.


10. Bloggers - Because they can produce a list like this and include themselves on it.

Bonus from Gaya:

This good-looking TV host looks cool doing her work.


But then, this guy seems to have the cooler aspect of the job.


Now, who do you think have the coolest jobs? Make your list!

20 comments:

Cha said...

ang galing! i didn't even know that some people have those weird (unique)jobs lalo na yung first two.

super funny yung last 2 pics haha!

Novice Blogger said...

Hey cha! Mas gusto ko yung unang una kasi food na yun e! Hehe.

Dapat pala ininclude ko din yung job ng isang taga p&g. :)

kegler747 said...

Very well said. Parang gusto ko na mag-apply khit saan dun sa list. Of course I want the job of chef anthony :) I also envy Ian Wright of Globe Trekkers kse ang dami na nya narating. I would love to replace him even without a salary. I would even pay the director just to accept me :)

Novice Blogger said...

Haha! Would something still be considered a job if you don't get paid for doing it and more so, if you even pay for it just to do it?

I think that would be called passion. And I understand your idea of replacing Wright, Mr. Traveller Guy. Hehe.

Lestat said...

huh this is really the 10 coolest jobs and won't argue with you on that..

Heinz Catsup-Taste tester puzzled me though.. parang naaisip ko tuloy na baka true ung circulating email about envelope licker sa mail office.. :)

good post

Novice Blogger said...

Hehe. Di siguro tumatagal yung naatratrabaho as envelope licker bro. Kasi wala man lang kalasa-lasa yung glue.

Anonymous said...

Nice.. Last two photos are very nice...

Novice Blogger said...

Pretty funny huh? Hehe.

kegler747 said...

You're right my friend! Come to think of it, how can I buy stuffs, souvenirs and pasalubong if my service will be free. I will now demand to be compensated as a travel guide on TV :) hehehe

lateralus said...

Gondolier? Sounds like backbreaking work. Hehe. :p

Novice Blogger said...

Kegler: Getting paid for doing a passion must be coolest thing.

Lateralus: It really is a backbreaking work.

admindude said...

i like what that "tv host hugger" is doing hehe. i think he has the coolest job :-)

Novice Blogger said...

Hehe. I like your term Bill. TV Host Hugger. Haha!

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a Travel Channel job. Great thoughts. I can't believe today's CEO makes 465 times more than an employee.

Novice Blogger said...

Thanks Jack! And about the CEOs making more, just imagine those who are at the top like for instance Steve Jobs and some others. I guess they make a lot more.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm probably one of the few people in the world who hates ketchup, the Heinz taster job sounds like a nightmare to me. lol But the rest are cool, though.

Novice Blogger said...

Frankly, I don't like ketchup that much as well. Here in the Philippines, there is an alternative sauce for ketchup. It is called Mang Tomas. I like that more.

Anonymous said...

Hey its great to read you blog its great thanx

Unknown said...

Randomly found your blog, but I like it. However, I would say "Kelly Campbell" as "graphic designer" should have made the list.

Anonymous said...

I think my job is super cool,and it didn't make your list. I'm a professional caddie on the PGA golf tour. I get paid( really well, I might add) to travel around the world, advise professional golfers on some of the most beautiful courses on the planet and strategize on some very difficult golf courses.
It's a pretty sweet job, if I do say so myself.
Hard to get though.there are only about 200 jobs on the Pga tour and about 250 on the European golf tour.