On Leadership

Monday, September 10, 2007

As I see it, I need to maneuver my partner around the dance floor,
taking care not to bump into anyone or anything, dancing to the music,
spontaneously choreographing a changing and pleasing series of moves,
all the while maintaining light conversation.
- Mr. Data, Startrek

There are few things about leadership that can be learned just from doing the salsa dance. An article from an online dance instructional website where members receive access to thousands online salsa dance videos, and DVDs by mail, Salsa Dance BootCamp tackles about the tips on leading when dancing. Here are some basic points.

1. Lead clearly.
2. Avoid being a literal and metaphorical jerk.
3. Know the difference between smooth and jerky.
4. Use the lightest effective lead. Know the difference between indication and demand.

The tips given are quite interesting since they can be applied to the corporate world, or to any place where leadership is involved. Also, though they are insights presented from the perspective of men, everyone can pluck something out of these. And those are just the basics. A few more scrolling and one will learn about navigation and the philosophy of the dance. Navigation is all about looking around to avoid any collision and to get through tight spots. Understanding the dance philosophy involves the awareness that leaders lead and followers follow. If a partner can't follow, it is because one can't lead.

31 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

I can name at least 5 persons who need to learn leadership skills! err I mean salsa. cough cough cough

Been busy and all, bro. Free anytime this week? Care for a game of billiards? :)

Novice Blogger said...

Sure bro. Text me lang. And I can also give you a list of those who need improvement in the leadership area. Hehe.

Bobby Revell said...

Hey Novice Blogger! Nice post. I think just blogging in itself puts each of us in a leadership position whether we realize it or not. We should all strive to be better people and set good examples for others. BTW, your blog looks great, very clean and simple. I need to clean mine up a bit:)

Novice Blogger said...

I agree with you Bob. And thanks for the compliment. I've been working on the look of this blog for ages.

Anonymous said...

I think every person on this earth has some type of leadership position, even if it's yourself leading the path in life.

Great post and blog!

Novice Blogger said...

Thanks Tom. And yep everyone is a leader in this life.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I linked to this from my own blog and extended the metaphor to what makes a good follower in salsa and at work. You can read it here: http://atimetodance.wordpress.com/2007/09/10/leading-following-as-metaphors/

Novice Blogger said...

Hi Maria! : ) And so the irony of it all - you can't be a good leader if you are not a good follower.

Anonymous said...

love the last sentence. great post =)

Novice Blogger said...

Hey Katkat! Thanks and good to see you here. : )

Ynon said...

are we not to consider the music itself on the success of a good salsa? sometimes, it is the music that commands the dancers. ;)

nice blog you got here. and did i tell you i already linked you up to my blog? hope that's fine with you. :)

Novice Blogger said...

Sure Ynon. Thanks for visiting. And of course music that beats to the rhythym of the dance is an important element as well.

The Penniless Fat Guy said...

Great post! Just kidding... Hehe... I do agree on #2... That line reminds me of someone... Hey Les, sama kame sa billiards... Just text me and Richard... Good times!

Novice Blogger said...

Hey Sam! It makes me smile everytime I see you around. Heard Richard made it to the MBA. Extend my congratulations to him. And send some text messages to Akid and we'll play some time.

The Bimbo said...

hi! mentioned you in my blog... :) do take a look! :)

[Link]

Novice Blogger said...

Sweet! Thanks for the mention Bobo. : )

bancroft (",) said...

hey dundee, how are you? this is grace :) hope you're doing fine! is this really your blog? hehe

Novice Blogger said...

Hey Grace! I'm doing good I guess. Thanks. Kamusta? Good to see you here. And yes, this is my humble blog. : )

Anonymous said...

Ha. Nice post. My wife won 5 dancing lessons at an auction we attended a while back. After reading your post, I have no chance of being a leader :)

Novice Blogger said...

Thanks Barry. And you know what they say, leaders are made, not born. So I think you could always work on being a good leader.

Anonymous said...

Dundee si Cha may kasayaw na iba!!!!! tignan mo friendster account niya dali!!!=Dhehehe..

-OnlyGurl

Novice Blogger said...

Haha! Only girl ha! Nakita ko na yan. Hehe. Nanalo raw sila sa program na yan. : )

Matt Robison said...

I've never looked at a dance that deeply before. I had no idea!

Novice Blogger said...

You know what they say about dance Matt, it's the world's favorite metaphor.

Anonymous said...

I think leadership skills work for EVERYTHING in life.

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Hey bro! It's been a while! Email me sometime, okay? :)

Novice Blogger said...

Doris: I'm with you.

Anitokid: Sure bro! : )

Anonymous said...

I been a leader all my life, from sports to the classroom..I think leaders are born cause manufactured ones just look silly.

Anonymous said...

You are 100 percent right.

Anonymous said...

Leadership is a in born thing. You can try to be a leader but you can not became one. If you don't have it in born.

Toronto Seo Comapny said...

hello Novice Blogger i like your blog if you like let me know i need bloggers