Brothers & Sisters

Monday, October 1, 2007

Tommy: Hand me a screwdriver.
You know what a screwdriver looks like, don't you?
Kevin: It's orange and comes in a glass with ice.

Cooper (singing): Jingle bells, batman smells,
Robin laid an egg,
Batmobile lost its wheel and the Joker got away, hey!

What if you find out that you are not in the family picture and the photo is even posted by your mom on the wall of your living room? What if you discover that you have another sibling aside from the ones you have now? Then when you meet her, what if you have this urge to pull a strand of her hair to check if her DNA is a match to your dad's? On your mom's birthday party, what if an adult video finds its way on the presentation tribute for your mom? What if you are getting married while a sibling of yours is on the verge of having divorce? And so on....

You could actually create great stories just by asking the proverbial "What if". And Brothers & Sisters did it in a way that is decent, funny, witty, humorous and touching. If there is a sitcom better than Desperate Housewives, I would say that it would be Brothers & Sisters.

[Update: There has been a buzz in the blogosphere about Teri Hatcher, playing as Susan Mayer, in Desperate Housewives throwing a line that says, “Okay, before we go any further, can I check those diplomas? Coz I would just like to make sure they are not from some med school in the Philippines.” Check a videoclip and some discussions that strike a raw nerve. Although there might be some truth in the statement especially when placed side by side with the nursing exam debacle last year, I still find it offensive because it somehow committed the fallacy of over-generalizing. The fact is that there are a lot of great medical practitioners from the country and they must not be brushed aside especially when they outnumber the few who are otherwise. As for the said few, this might serve as an eye-opener and a signal to prove to those who are unimpressed that they are wrong to be so.]

17 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Now, those "what if" questions are the mother of all questions with regards to such situations. I wouldn't want to be in such a predicament, bro. But I guess you know what I'm talking about. Hope we could get together sometime. And I kid you not!

I AM SAM said...

I can always account to you some of the weird stories concerning my family. But I am not in a melodramatic mood. Maybe next time. I got to watch this show through Studio 23. There have been several family oriented shows today. Aside from 7th Heaven, Brothers and Sisters rock. It provides a clear picture of small things that make families get bigger.

admindude said...

Hey, interesting that you blogged about DNA because when I was sick, I spent a lot of my time watching youtube videos of the Jeremy Kyle show. It is a wierd (and kind of trashy show) in the U.K.

Basically, people go to the show to request for DNA tests that would determine if their son is really their son, or if their sister is really their sister, etc. etc.

It's somewhat trashy but you can't help not watching because of the trainwreck appeal hehe.

kegler747 said...

I think all of us once thought that one way or the other that we are just adopted :)

Regarding the Desperate Housewives thing... well its just purely a racist conjecture. There are Filipinos teaching at Harvard Medical School and even at Harvard Law School!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate what if questions. They only make me sad especially when the path I took has turned out wrong! On the desperate housewives issue, they should apologize! That was below the belt.

P.S. You look cute!

Layad said...

Interesting what ifs when watched on tv... If all of that happens in real life and in just one family, I guess it would be too much to handle hehehe...

Did the Desperate Housewives writer/producer ever apologize for the comment?

lovelyn said...

And I thought "men" don't watch these sitcoms(LOL).

Funny cause there's this forum with the Desperate Housewives issue and only one housewife joined the discussion. All were guys saying their blah-blahs and they obviously know a lot about the show.

Just don't make "what if's" stifle our psyche. Let it be a reminder for us to follow and do what is right. Life sometimes sucks but it doesn't mean its the end of it.

Anonymous said...

"What ifs" are acceptable only they lead to good things.
If I'm told now that Chairman Comelec is related to me, that's bad.
Now if someone tells me, I'm a kin to the Broken Bow, that would be great, I can probably inherit the Bamboo Jeep...hehe....

Racists, discriminatory, and slurs are part of showbiz, and it happens here in the Philippines every now and then. If there is anyone to be blamed, would be the producers, directors for letting those loose lines.
Apology for those good doctors who were affected is appropriate but not to Malacanang!
Cheers and goodhealth...

Novice Blogger said...

anikid: i think a better question is "why not". text text bro.

sam: honestly your life story could be an inspiring tv series. tho i think you'll be suitable to sitcom as well hehe.

bill: so i heard that you were ill.. good to know you're okay. and i will be looking for that show.

kegler: i agree with you. i have asked the question "ampon kaya ako" once in my life. hehe.

marinella: haha. i think i know who you are!

layad: i think the producers removed the said clip already. according to the news, they will not be airing that part.

lovelyn: when the first season came out, i really didn't expect that id be watching the show but after watching an episode, naging tuloy tuloy na.

trublue: and it would be an honor as well to be akin to the one and only trublue.

Anonymous said...

You really know me? Thanks! You look yummy.. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't watch it here in SG coz I thought it was a heavy drama based on its previews. But after reading this, maybe I'll check an episode or two :) I miss 7th Heaven too. La lang...

Novice Blogger said...

Marinella: Hoy richard tumigil ka nga diyan!

Kat: I encourage you to watch Bros & Sis, kahit madrama marami pa ring nakakatwa. And running pa naman til now yung 7th Heaven di ba? : )

Echos Erita said...

this is a very wonderful site. can we exchange links?

Anonymous said...

I have read about the issue of desperate house Teri HAtcher and it was indeed below the belt. Anyway I od think that DNA is the only way to know if your family was indeed your family and your parents was indeed your parents.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy watching the TV series of this series. she really been good in comedy as well in drama, that why i bought a copy of this series on DVD.

Anonymous said...

"brothers & sisters"

i wish i had one.. so bored living as the only child in the family.

Lazer Epilayon Fiyatları said...

There have been several family oriented shows today. thanks Lazer epilasyon fiyatlari